by Dawid Wosik
Don’t let them pull your leg!
Before you make your final decision for the next couple of years of your education – higher education – you need to realize that those years will determine your future career and life standard of yours and your family. Make sure you put your future in safe, reliable hands, ask questions and demand.
You are one of hundreds of thousands people that have real power to change higher education in your country. Remember – there is no compromise as far as quality is concerned – you have all the right to demand the best. You make decisions and you are entitled to full, reliable information before you trust somebody with your dreams and ambitions to become a graduate holding Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in your field.
What kind of questions to ask, if you want to know more about quality at your university? Here are some examples:
- Have you been evaluated by the state accreditation unit? If yes, was the evaluation positive or negative?
- Do you provide students with work placement opportunities?
- Do you participate in students exchange programs both within the country and internationally?
- What are the opportunities for the students to study in foreign languages?
- What are the realistic employment opportunities for your graduates? What is the employment rate of the graduates?
- Is there a Career Center at your university? How can you support your graduates in finding jobs?
- What are the signals from labour market that enforce offering that major?
- Do the programs realized at your faculty conform with the teaching programs at the same faculties in Europe or worldwide?
- Have you been granted any “quality certificates” apart from the state accreditation, e.g. program accreditation, ISO 9001 certificate, quality award?
- How can I contact some of your graduates?
- What is the percentage of your graduates that have found their jobs according to their major?